Monday, July 12, 2010

Post No. 8, Chapters 13 and 14

Chapter 13, The Power to Choose

We have a choice. We don't have to compete. Have you ever looked at a situation and thought, "well I don't really have a choice" or "no matter what I choose, I lose"? Isn't it refreshing to know that regardless of how difficult or impossible our circumstances may seem, we do get to choose and as long as we are following Christ we can't lose! Life is a constant continuum of following and leading, helping and being helped, climbing and coasting. I just love how straightforward and blunt Beth is and how well she accepts God's grace and shares it with everyone, believer and non-believer alike. On page 246 Beth writes, "God gave you your security, and nobody gets to force it from you. You must make up your mind that the only way someone cant take it from you is for you to hand it over. You have the right to hold on to security for dear life in every situation and every relationship. It's the power of choice." I can't help but praise God for the peace and strength that I can trust in because of His sacrifice and the love He has for me. The middle of this chapter was difficult for me to relate to at first. Yet as I read on, I realized that in so many relationships I am guilty of thinking of and acting in the same sense an emotional predator does. I was raised in the environment where you do what you are told and ask questions later. However, I don't especially remember grace and mercy being a part of this environment. I was convicted as I read this part of the chapter to remember this crucial factor when reacting with my kids. I am authority, however Jesus is my authority and he never uses aggression to influence a choice I need to make. My life is complete in Christ. My confidence is found nn Christ. Beth reminds us at the end of this chapter of the promise in Scripture, "Do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised." (Heb. 10:35-36).

Chapter 14, Can We Do It for Them?

Wow! This chapter hit home in so many ways. I read through the entire chapter nodding my head in agreement to nearly all the examples and personal testimony she talked about (as a mother, not a grandmother of course!). Nothing can prepare you for becoming a parent. There is something about holding a new child in your arms for the first time and realizing the unbelieveable potential you hold. Yet, holding a little girl was so much more emotional for me. I realized the responsibility and felt completely inadequate to teach a little girl the ways of being a godly woman. I remember the moment we laid eyes on our precious Grace. I knew Grace was a girl, but it was not confirmed until she was born. We tried unsuccessfully to find out ahead of time whether God would bless us with another boy or a baby girl. Nothing prepared me for the emotion of the moment. I was not a first time momma and I don't often feel the weight of emotion, but that day emotion was so overwhelming the weight of it felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. Witnessing the moments that touch our hearts are indescribable and nothing can replace the memory of my baby girl drawing her first breath. I thought nothing could rival the way that I felt that day. I was wrong. Recognizing the redemptive power of Jesus takes my breath away time after time. My past rears its ugly head and in those times, I must heed the words of the Lord and take these thoughts captive. I loved the statement Beth makes in this chapter explaining the difference of being called in contrast to being cured. What a picture of restoration and hope! I have undoubtedly been cured of so many things in my life and though I know I have a long way to go, I am anticipating the future with much expectation for what God has in store for me. At the end of this chapter, Beth says every middle school girl you pass is your daughter. She asks the questions, "What are you going to do about her? What would you be willing to do FOR her?" We are all daughters of the King. What was Christ willing to do FOR me? There's nothing he wouldn't do for me. Not even separation from His Father stopped Him from coming to this world to be scrutinized, betrayed and ulitmately dying to save my life. What would you do for your daughter? "It's time we girls helped each other out."

(This post was written by Amber Kimball, friend of Sonrise Bible Study. She lives in Kearney where she is active in MOPS and a friend to many).

4 comments:

  1. I love the empowerment from chapter 13. I have the power to choose how I will respond and to hang onto my security. I can choose to respond differently even before I feel differently. So often, we wait for our feelings to change so our actions can follow. This is opposite of what we should do. Our emotions will follow our actions. So act secure...and one day we will find that we are secure. Chapter 14 was such a great reminder that we have a responsibility to the young girls in our lives...to help them live securely and not carry on with our own baggage. What am I doing to build security into my daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristina, yes, yes. Empowerment that is ours from Him. First we change our thinking, and everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your insights and comments, Amber. And I agree Cristina & Karla about the empowerment to choose. Love to just think about it and the security it gives. :)
    Jean H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh the power of choice. How many choices we have each day and the impact of each one of them. Too often I choose poorly instead of what I know God wants me to do. It can be hard to remember that we can choose how to respond and no one can "make" us feel a certain way.

    Your insights Amber about raising a daughter really had me thinking. I have 2 boys that I want to raise to respect women/girls, but I also need to watch for God to open doors for me to make a difference in other young women's lives. Whether it be through other moms, church, school or our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete